September 2017 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Diploma in Therapeutic Massage (DTM)
(Please see the Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/career-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
This program provides instruction in courses that include general science, therapeutic massage theory and practice, and the appropriate health, safety and ethical issues that are required of a massage therapist. The program prepares students to enter the Massage Therapy profession. After passing a certification examination and obtaining a license to practice, the graduate will be qualified for multiple employment opportunities.
Upon completion of this program, the graduate should be able to:
- Articulate the principles and benefits of therapeutic massage with clients and healthcare professionals.
- Perform safe and beneficial therapeutic massage recognizing the indications and contraindications associated with specific client conditions.
- Apply theory and application of massage therapy and bodywork appropriate to the needs and safety of the client and practitioner
- Apply ethical and professional business practices within a therapeutic massage environment.
- Employ kinesiology principles within therapeutic massage to affect the integrity of soft tissue and joint mobility.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, massage therapist.
A minimum of 1,012.5 clock hours are required for graduation in Omaha and 900 clock hours in Brookfield.