Jul 11, 2020
(Please see theHerzing University Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/career-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
The BSN program prepares the graduate to practice as a nurse generalist as a member of the healthcare team in a variety of settings. The program focuses on patient-centered care, teamwork, and collaboration, evidence based practice, safety, quality improvement, and informatics. The program emphasizes the use of innovative technologies and preparation for assuming leadership roles.
Upon completion of their program, the student should be able to:
- Manage patient-centered care using the nursing process.
- Participate with the patients, families and team members to provide care.
- Integrate Evidences based practice within clinical settings to deliver optimal care.
- Minimize risk of harm to clients and providers through both systems effectiveness and individual performance.
- Use informational technology to communicate, mitigate error, support decision making, and manage patient care.
- Examine the quality improvement process to enhance patient outcomes.
- Integrate advanced leadership and management skills within the interdisciplinary healthcare environment.
- Analyze national and global policies, legislative concepts, and economics to address population outcomes.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, registered nurse.
A minimum of 120.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Note: This BSN program is only available at the New Orleans Campus
Required Courses in NSG
All courses, 66.00 semester credit hours, are required.
General Education Prerequisite Courses
The following general education prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” (70%) or better for a student to progress in the nursing program.
- Anatomy and Physiology With Lab
- Chemistry/Natural Science
- College Algebra and Statistics
All other general education courses must be passed with a grade of “D” or better to progress in the nursing program.
A student who is dropped from the nursing program for failing to achieve the minimum grade specified in the general education courses but who otherwise meets the academic standards of the University may transfer to another Herzing degree program and/or may reapply to the BSN nursing program in a future cycle.
General Education Required Courses
Students enrolled in this bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 36.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. A minimum of 9.00 semester credit hours must be upper level (300- to 400-level courses). Refer to the General Education section of the catalog for Herzing University courses that would satisfy these requirements. *
12.00 Semester Credit Hours in English Composition or Literature
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in General Chemistry with Lab
9.00 Semester Credit Hours in Humanities
6.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics (College Algebra and Statistics)
6.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social or Behavioral Science +
* Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 48.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
+ Students must take PS 101 Psychology to fulfill this requirement.
Nursing Program Support Courses
16.00 semester credit hours are required.
Personal and Professional Development Courses
A minimum of 2.00 semester credit hours is required.