(Please see the Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/career-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
This transfer program provides students who have a solid grounding in a therapeutic massage discipline, gained from completing a diploma program in that discipline, with the general education component of an associate degree to become a well-rounded graduate. This program will prepare students to pass the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork, as well as any other required state or national certifications, after which graduates will be qualified for entry-level work in spas, health clubs, gyms, cruise ships, and medical offices, or they could become self-employed by going into private practice.
Upon completion of this program, the graduate should be able to:
1. Articulate the principles and benefits of therapeutic massage with clients and healthcare professionals.
2. Perform safe and beneficial therapeutic massage recognizing the indications and contraindications associated with specific client conditions.
3. Apply theory and application of massage therapy and bodywork appropriate to the needs and safety of the client and practitioner.
4. Apply ethical and professional business practices within a therapeutic massage environment.
5. Employ kinesiology principles within therapeutic massage to affect the integrity of soft tissue and joint mobility.
6. Think critically, both conceptually and by using mathematical analysis, write and speak effectively, use basic computer applications, and understand human behavior in the context of the greater society.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, massage therapist.
A minimum of 70.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Required Core Therapeutic Massage Courses
Students must have completed 44 credits in therapeutic massage. Selection or transfer of courses will be in consultation and with the approval of the student’s academic advisor. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 44.00 semester credit hours required may be made up with addition therapeutic massage courses. Note: General education transfer credits are applied under general education.
General Education Requirements
Students enrolled in this associate’s degree must complete a minimum of 24.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. Refer to the General Education section of the catalog for Herzing University courses that would satisfy these requirements. *
4.00 Semester Credit Hours in Computer Applications
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in English Composition
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in General Education Electives
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Natural Science or Humanities With a Critical Thinking Focus **
1.00 Semester Credit Hours in Information Literacy
4.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics (College Algebra or Above)
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social or Behavioral Science
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Speech
* Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 24.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be
made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
** A course with a critical thinking focus would be a course that addresses the theories and application of critical analysis with an emphasis on developing sequential reasoning skills. Examples may be courses in critical thinking, philosophy, logic, or