Feb 20, 2024
(Please see the chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/career-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
This Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design With a Concentration in Web Design program employs an integrated and coherent approach that prepares students with the necessary academic knowledge and technical competencies required for a wide range of positions in Web design. The curriculum is focused on designing and producing work for the World Wide Web, television, cinema, multimedia, and digital entertainment. This degree enables students to specialize in topics appropriate for an entry-level position in web design.
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Identify career opportunities in graphic design.
- Identify design production tools for interactive and graphic arts systems
- Articulate design and production process from research to delivery of final product to client.
- Select appropriate technologies and techniques to design socially appropriate solutions to interactive and graphic design problems
- Create a design portfolio appropriate for an entry-level position in interactive and graphic arts.
- Apply design production tools for interactive and graphic arts systems
- Apply design and production process from research to delivery of final product to client.
- Evaluate appropriate technologies and techniques to design socially appropriate solutions to interactive and graphic design problems
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, graphic designer, graphic artist, designer, creative director, artist, design director, creative manager, desktop publisher, and graphic designer/production.
A minimum of 124.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Required Core Graphic Design Courses
All courses, 39.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Required Courses in Web Design
All courses, 24.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Open Elective Courses
A minimum of 15.00 semester credit hours of open electives is required.
Required Capstone or Internship
4.00 semester credit hours are required.
Required Courses in General Education
Students enrolled in this bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 40.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. A minimum of 9.00 semester credit hours must be upper level (300- to 400-level courses). Refer to the section of the catalog for Herzing University courses that would satisfy these requirements. *
4.00 Semester Credit Hours in Computer Applications ♦
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Cultural Diversity
6.00 Semester Credit Hours in English Composition or Literature
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in General Education Electives ♦
6.00 Semester Credit Hours in Humanities With a Critical Thinking Focus (3.00 semester credit hours must have a critical thinking focus) ** ♦ •
1.00 Semester Credit Hour in Information Literacy
7.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics (College Algebra or Above)
4.00 Semester Credit Hours of Natural Science With a Lab Component ▲
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social or Behavioral Science
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Speech
* Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 37.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
** A course with a critical thinking focus would be a course that addresses the theories and application of critical analysis with an emphasis on developing sequential reasoning skills. Examples may be courses in critical thinking, philosophy, logic, or science.
♦ The state of Minnesota requires a minimum of 30.00 semester credit hours of general education for bachelor’s degrees, not counting computer applications. However, all Herzing University students in the BSGRDWD program must complete a minimum of 37.00 semester credit hours in general education, including computer applications, to complete the requirement for graduation from this bachelor’s degree program. Minnesota students must complete at least 4.00 semester credit hours of general education in the humanities.
• Students in this BSGRDWD program must take to satisfy 3.00 semester credit hours of this requirement.
Required Natural Science with Lab Component
▲ Students must take the following Herzing University courses to satisfy this requirement
Personal and Professional Development Courses
2.00 semester credit hours are required.