Jul 14, 2020
September 2016 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management (BSHCM)
(Please see the Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/areer-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
This program prepares students with the foundational skills and knowledge necessary for entry-level management positions in healthcare. The program combines a foundation of technical coursework in a healthcare discipline with a management curriculum to be successful in managing in a healthcare environment. Many students enter into this bachelor’s degree program after having completed a certificate, diploma, or associate’s program in a healthcare discipline. Students who have not completed all the requirements of a healthcare program may complete coursework by taking individual healthcare courses drawn from Herzing University’s healthcare programs. All students complete the same management curriculum to prepare them to manage in the healthcare industry.
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Articulate theories and principles of health care management.
- Articulate management principles to functional areas of health care.
- Identify determinants and measurements of health and disease in epidemiology, public health, promotion of health, and disease prevention.
- Identify unique characteristics of law and ethics in health services.
- Apply management skills to leadership concepts.
- Compare health services organizations and delivery structures, functions, and professionals.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, office manager, program manager, clinical director, and practice administrator.
A minimum of 121.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Required Management Core Courses
All courses, 24.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Required Courses in Healthcare Management
All courses, 15.00 semester credit hours, are required.
Transfer Credits from an Associate’s or Diploma Program in Healthcare
A minimum of 37.00 semester credit hours is required from a combination of healthcare electives and credits transferred from the core (non-general education) courses of a healthcare-related associate’s or diploma program. Students not transferring in 37.00 semester credit hours in healthcare courses may make up the difference with healthcare elective courses.
Transfer Credits in Healthcare
All of the core courses may be transferred from a healthcare-related program to satisfy this requirement. Selection or transfer of courses will be in consultation and with the approval of the student’s academic advisor. Note: General education transfer credits are applied under general education.
Associate or diploma programs from which healthcare courses may be accepted include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Dental Administrative Services
- Dental Assisting
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Health Care Management
- Health Information Management
- Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist
- Medical Assisting Services
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Office Administration
- Nursing ▲
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Patient Care Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Radiologic Technology
- Surgical Technology
▲ Special Note for Herzing University Practical Nursing Diploma Programs: Each course in the following Herzing University practical nursing diploma programs is accepted for full credit towards the Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management program.
- Diploma in Practical Nursing-Birmingham (DPNAL)
- Diploma in Practical Nursing-Madison (DPNWI)
- Diploma in Practical Nursing-Orlando (DPNFL)
Required Capstone or Internship
A minimum of 3.00 semester credit hours are required.
* Online students in some states may not be allowed to take this internship due to state restrictions.
** Enrollment in a student readiness training is required four terms prior to internship course. Successful completion of training is required prior to internship course enrollment.
Required Courses in General Education
Students enrolled in this bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 37.00 semester credit hours in general education distributed among the following disciplines. A minimum of 9.00 semester credit hours must be upper level (300- to 400-level courses). Refer to the General Education section of the catalog for Herzing University courses that would satisfy these requirements. *
4.00 Semester Credit Hours in Computer Applications ♦
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Cultural Diversity
6.00 Semester Credit Hours in English Composition or Literature
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in General Education Electives ♦
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Humanities With a Critical Thinking Focus ** ♦
1.00 Semester Credit Hours in Information Literacy
7.00 Semester Credit Hours in Mathematics (College Algebra or Above)
4.00 Semester Credit Hours in Natural Science With a Lab Component
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Social or Behavioral Science
3.00 Semester Credit Hours in Speech
* Transfer students may transfer courses that are within 1.00 semester credit hour of the courses listed above to meet these discipline requirements. Any resulting deficiency in the total of 37.00 semester credit hours required in general education may be made up with general education electives from any of the listed disciplines.
** A course with a critical thinking focus would be a course that addresses the theories and application of critical analysis with an emphasis on developing sequential reasoning skills. Examples may be courses in critical thinking, philosophy, logic, or science.
♦ The state of Minnesota requires a minimum of 30.00 semester credit hours of general education for bachelor’s degrees, not counting computer applications. However, all Herzing University students in the BSHCM program must complete a minimum of 37.00 semester credit hours in general education, including computer applications, to complete the requirement for graduation from this bachelor’s degree program. Minnesota students must complete at least 4 semester credit hours of general education in the humanities.
Personal and Professional Development Courses
2.00 semester credit hours are required.