May 2019 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Science in Legal Studies (BSLS)
Only the Herzing University paralegal programs at New Orleans and Atlanta are approved by the American Bar Association. (ABA). The Herzing Legal Studies program offered online is not approved by the ABA.
(Please see the Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog or on the Herzing Website at www.herzing.edu/career-programs/downloads for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
This program is designed to provide in-depth understanding of the legal system as it relates to the law, the courts, clients, and lawyers. The core curriculum provides a solid foundation of legal, ethical, technical, and communication skills. Students will be prepared for entry-level or management training positions in office administration or other business enterprises requiring a legal studies background.
Students at the Atlanta and New Orleans campuses must complete all paralegal courses at the campus in a traditional classroom format.
Upon completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Describe the US legal system.
- Describe the changing functions of the paralegal as the delivery of legal services evolves.
- Demonstrate proficiency of standard technology and research tools used in legal environments
- Evaluate ethical decision making practices in a legal environment.
- Draft a variety of legal documents
- Evaluate alternatives to litigation.
- Formulate appropriate business solutions.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, paralegal and legal assistant.
A minimum of 125.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.