(Please see the Undergraduate Program Offerings by Campus chart in the catalog for a list of Herzing campuses offering this program.)
The goal of the dental hygiene program is to prepare students with the knowledge and skills required to manage and maintain a dental clinic, effectively instruct dental hygiene students, and build upon previous learned education in dental hygiene. This program prepares students with the necessary skills and academic knowledge for entry-level leadership opportunities with an emphasis on dental hygiene. It is structured as a “three-plus-one” degree where students who have already completed a typically lengthy associate degree in dental hygiene (in the range of 90 semester credit hours) can top off that degree with an advanced curriculum. Combined, this gives the graduate both the technical grounding in a dental hygiene program (from earlier training in dental hygiene from their associate-level studies) and the higher-level skills to effectively lead, manage, and teach in the dental hygiene profession.
Upon completion of their program, the student should be able to:
- Articulate the code of ethics including adherence to regulatory structure within dental hygiene.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and convey aspects of culturally competent, inter-professional health care to individuals and groups from diverse populations.
- Demonstrate the ability to define and articulate organizational, operational, ethical, legal, and managerial issues impacting the field of dental hygiene.
- Investigate the on-going evolution of the dental hygiene profession.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform self-assessment for life-long learning and professional growth.
Special Admission Requirements
Acceptance into the dental hygiene program is on a selective basis. The student must have graduated from a CODA-accredited dental hygiene program with an associate degree and hold an active license, as well as be in good standing as a dental hygienist.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, dental hygienist.
A minimum of 120.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.
Transfer and Elective Credits
A minimum of 77.00 semester credit hours is required, to be fulfilled by transfer or elective credits.
- Up to 90.00 semester credit hours of program core and support courses may be transferred from a completed associate degree in dental hygiene from Herzing University or another nationally or regionally accredited college or university. This program must be accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).