May 2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with a Concentration in Management and Leadership (BSCJML)
(Please see the Herzing University Undergraduate Program Offerings by Location chart in the catalog for a list of Herzing locations offering this program.)
This program provides students with a comprehensive academic knowledge of public safety; including criminology, law enforcement, corrections and the criminal justice system, as well as the skills and techniques for supervision and management. This degree can also provide advancement opportunities for law enforcement personnel requiring a bachelor’s degree when applying for or advancing within the profession. (Some states, including but not limited to Minnesota, require additional certification, licensing, and/or training academy completion to be eligible for employment in a law enforcement capacity.)
Upon completion of their program, the student should be able to:
- Explain the inter relationship between law enforcement, our judicial system, and correctional agencies.
- Evaluate social and ethical issues affecting public safety personnel.
- Evaluate civil liability issues faced by public safety personnel and how this applies to their decision making.
- Differentiate investigative techniques, evidence collection, and criminalistics for various criminal offenses.
- Describe public safety issues created by acts of terrorism including public preparedness and response.
- Evaluate management strategies for law enforcement supervisors.
Potential Occupational Titles
Potential occupational titles for this program include, but are not limited to, first line supervisor of correctional officer, first-line supervisor, police officer, and detective.
A minimum of 120.00 semester credit hours is required for graduation.